Sarah MacCubbin (6th great-grandmother) married Thomas Reynolds (1678) 30 November 1699, Ann Arundel, MD. She was the daughter of John MacCubbin and Eleanor Carroll, John being a descendent of Sir Fergus MacCubbin and King Alpin of Scotland. Thomas was a descendent of Robert Reynolds of the Isle of Wright who survived the 1622 Indian massacre on Warrascoyack, and then later fought in the Virginia Militia. Prior to her marriage to Thomas Reynolds, Sarah MacCubbin was married to William Griffith, from whom she had two children, Orlando and Sophia Griffith. William died in 1699.
Biography of William Griffith (Abt 1657-1699) and Sarah MacCubbin (1671-1716) By Ken Lindsay
524. William Griffith, was born about 1657 in Cardigan, Wales and died 1699 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. His will was proven 23 Oct 1699. William Griffith married Sarah MacCubbin, daughter of John MacCubbin and Elinoir Carroll, in 1687 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. William Griffith claimed to have been kidnapped off the streets of London, put aboard a ship at Bristol, and taken to the Maryland Colony. This incident was recorded in the family Bible by his grandson, Colonel Henry Griffith, son of Orlando. William was 18 years old at the time of his arrival in 1675. He settled in Anne Arundel County and always claimed to be descended from the ancient Kings of Wales. For interesting information, please read "Origin & History of Howard Co., Maryland," by Charles Francis Stein, Jr. Mr. Stein also descends from William Griffith. There are claims that William Griffith was descended from the Kings of Wales. Sarah MacCubbin, said to have been descended from Kenneth McAlphin, King of Scotland in 858, was born in 1671 in England and died 22 Apr 1716 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. Sarah MacCubbin is said to be a descendant, through the male line, of Kenneth McAlphin, King of Scotland in 858. McCubbin is considered a corruption of the name, McAlphin. William Griffith and Sarah MacCubbin had four children:
1 Orlando Griffith, b. 17 Oct 1688 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; d. Feb 1757 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; md. 6 Jun 1717 Katherine Howard in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland.
2 Sophia Griffith, b. 27 Apr 1691 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; died about 1718.
3 Charles Griffith, b. 20 Jan 1692/1693 In Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; died 1771 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; md. about 1713
4 William Griffith Jr., b. 15 Apr 1697 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; died about 1717 Comfort
1. J. Reaney Kelly, Quakers in the Founding of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, (Baltimore: The Maryland Historical Society, 1963), 15. Ann Dorsey and "hir husband" [not named] mentioned in a 1658 letter. Edward Dorsey was the only Dorsey in Anne Arundel County at that time who was married.
2. James Greneff will, Maryland wills 2:215-216, FHL microfilm 0,012,841 and Maryland wills 7:79-80, FHL microfilm 0,012,843. Mentions wife Ann, "brother John Howard" and "brother Samuel Howard."
3. Maryland Patent Liber 18 (Vol. 21):160 FHL microfilm 0,013,071. Land was claimed in 1674 for Nicholas Greenberry, wife, and two children (not named) who were on the ship Constant Friendship.
4. "The Dorsey Heritage," Broadneck Hundred III, No. 3 (1979): 13-44.
5. The Dorsey/Darsey/Darcy/Dossey/D'Arcy/Dorcey DNA Project Results. "The American Immigrant Edward Darcy/Dorsey.....do not match the D'Arcys with proven lines to the Normans Conquest" [which includes the Darcys of Hornsby Castle].
6. Joshua Dorsey will, MD wills 6:8-9, FHL microfilm 0,012,843. He made bequests to "cousins" (i.e. nephews) John, Samuel and Matthew Howard, [children of Matthew Howard.]
7. Edward Dorsey will, MD wills 3:725-727, FHL microfilm 0,012,842.
8. John Dorsey will, MD wills 14:26-29, FHL microfilm 0,012,846.
9. Matthew Howard will, MD wills 2:222-224, FHL microfilm 0,012,841.
10. John Acton will, MD wills 6:1-2, FHL microfilm 0.012,843 Sarah Dorsey called widow and relict of Joshua Dorsey.
11. Anne Arundel Co., MD land records IH3:62-63, FHL microfilm 0,013,208. 6 Dec. 1681 Edward Dorsy, "Son and heir of Edward Dorsy late of the County of Ann Arundell" sold the parcel Hockley in the Hole granted to "the said Edward Dorsy, Joshua Dorsy and John Dorsey my brothers" on 20 Aug. 1664.
12. Anne Arundel Co., MD land records WT2:574-577, FHL microfilm 0,013,209. Nicholas Wyatt was granted Wyatts Ridge of 450 acres by survey returned 16 Dec. 1664. One half, 225 acres "became the right of Sarah Wyatt who intermarried Edwd Dorsey of the County, Gent."
13. Maryland Patents 10:499, FHL microfilm 0,013,068. 14. Archives of Maryland 41:314. 14. Lois (Dorsey) Bennington - "Grandparents Are Great," c1982 p 25;
15. Edward Dorsey Left Will dated 26 Oct 1704 which was probated 31 Dec 1705 at Baltimore Co., Maryland. (See Original Wills, Liber 3, folio 725.)
16. Anna L. Griffith - "The Griffiths of Wales & America, " c1979, Mayfield, Kentucky, pp 203-304. His will was proven at Anne Arundel Co., 23 Oct 1699.
17. Information supplied by Josephine G. Nattkemper, 452 Denton Way, Santa Rosa, CA 95401 (Received 22 Aug 1981.)
Copyright © 2005 Kenneth G. Lindsay
About the Author: Ken Lindsay is a retired mining engineer, teacher, coach, family historian, publisher and author. You may contact him by E-mail.
This article is courtesy of Ken-Lindsay.com